Aurora WordPress Training
Prior to attending the training, please watch the Aurora Overview
Register by clicking on the session links below (NetID login required)
- (Part 1 – Basics) – Electronic Classroom 1, Homer Babbidge Library(HBL) 369 Fairfield Way, Storrs, CT 06269 (map)
Tuesday March 14, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PMTuesday March 21, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- (Part 2 – Site Admin Role) – Electronic Classroom 1, Homer Babbidge Library(HBL) 369 Fairfield Way, Storrs, CT 06269 (map)
Thursday March 16, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PMTuesday March 28, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- (Workshop) – Electronic Classroom 1, Homer Babbidge Library(HBL) 369 Fairfield Way, Storrs, CT 06269 (map)
- Thursday March 30, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- (Part 1 – Basics and Part 2 – Site Admin Role) – Chaplin Cottage (CHAP) on the Depot Campus, 69 Ahern Lane, Storrs, CT 06269-5179 (map)
- Friday April 7, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- (Workshop) – Chaplin Cottage (CHAP) on the Depot Campus, 69 Ahern Lane, Storrs, CT 06269-5179 (map)
- Friday April 21, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Aurora Website
- Logging into WordPress
- Discover the Dashboard
- Creating Pages and Posts
- Editing Content
- Creating Hyperlinks
- Media Library
- Adding Images
- Adding Video
- Gravity Forms
- Manage users
- Customize Appearance
- Homepage Layout
- Page Builder
- UConn Events Calendar
- Meta Slider Pro
- User Profiles
- Private Sites & pages
- Go Live
- Google Analytics
Join us for a workshop where you can set time aside to develop your website in Aurora and have someone available to answer your questions. We will review and provide additional instructions on topics the participants request. The Workshop is hands-on training and designed to accommodate the individual needs.
You must be an Administrator of the website.
If you’re interested in additional training, here are some things to look out for:
Multisite vs. Self-Hosted
Aurora uses the “Multisite” configuration of WordPress. Most training programs will center around the more commonly used “self hosted” setup. While there is a significant degree of overlap between the two, let the vendor know that you’re not interested in subjects regarding Installation, Databases, Installing Plugins or Themes, or running updates. In Aurora, all of those functions are handled by UITS.
This is the area of training or reading that we recommend for all users. It would cover how to create new pages, edit exiting pages, update the site menus, swap out images, upload documents, and write news posts. See the pages listed under “Basic” for a place to start on these topics.
Each site in Aurora can have one or more users designated as the Site Administrator. A Site Admin can change the layout of the homepage, pick color themes for the site, change the permission levels for other users, and manipulate various site settings. Check the pages under “Site Administration” for more detail.
Most functionality sites need will be provided through centrally developed themes and plugins. However, there are always going to be certain sites that need a little something more. Areas can develop their own themes and plugins, to get started, please contact email@example.com and we’ll set you up with a development environment. You’ll want to work primarily in a development area we set up for you, there are differences between the self-hosted and multisite versions of WordPress that can effect your themes and plugins.