If you manage your organizations social media, chances are that you link to pages on the organizations website. If you would like the image featured on Facebook or Twitter to always be consistent across all social media posts (your organizations logo for example) you will want to set your organizations featured image.
Set page/post specific Featured Image
Before getting started with the steps below, if you just want a specific image to display on your social media, and not be consistent from post to post you simply need to set the featured image for that specific page or post that you link to.
- Click Edit Page or Edit post
- Click on Set Featured Image under Featured Image on the lower right-hand side of the page or post.
Set site specific Featured Image
- Log into your site’s dashboard then click on SmartCrawl > Title & Meta.
- Within this page click on Post Types then scroll down to Options and click the slider to Enable OpenGraph.
- After enabling OpenGraph you will see the option for Default Featured Images, click the plus sign to add a featured image.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Settings. You have successfully set the featured image for your site. This image will display consistently when you create posts on Facebook or Twitter and link to content on your website.
You may not notice the new image appear immediately on Facebook or Twitter posts due to a delay from these services. You can just check back the next day and see if it is fixed or follow the steps below to manually ask these services to recrawl your content.
- Visit Facebook’s sharing debugger tool https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing
- Enter the specific page URL that you linked to in your Facebook post and click Debug.
- Facebook should now be pulling the correct image.
- Visit Twitter’s card validator https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator
- Enter the specific page URL that you linked to in your Twitter post and click Preview Card.
- Twitter should now be pulling the correct image.